Did you know!?! – Coconut oil is an antibacterial food that can reduce bad breath and tooth decay. It is popularly used for oil pulling, the traditional practice that removes toxins in the mouth and helps fight gingivitis, plaque accumulation and microorganisms that cause bad breath. It does not reverse the effects of tooth decay, but it is a good supplement therapy.
9 tips for oil pulling
- It must be done early in the morning with an empty stomach.
- You can choose any oil, such as coconut, sunflower, or sesame oil (though all these oils can fight against bacteria and dirt in the mouth, the lauric acid in coconut oil is more effective because of its antimicrobial properties).
- Do not swallow the oil because it contains all the dirt and bacteria from the mouth.
- Swish the oil for only 10 minutes if the jaw starts hurting.
- Oil pulling should be done before brushing.
- You can repeat this procedure three times a day before meals to increase benefits.
- Spit the oil out and brush your teeth once the procedure is done.
- Advised to do gentle swishing.
- You should never replace oil pulling with routine dental hygiene practices and oral care.
If you have a periodontal/dental implant condition, it’s important to receive treatment before it becomes a dental emergency. At the Havrilla Center for Periodontics & Dental Implants located in Broomall, PA, attending to your comfort and concerns is our first priority. Our mission is to provide you with the highest quality of periodontal and dental implant care in a warm and friendly environment.