Gum Disease Awareness Month!
If you’re asking yourself, why does gum disease need an entire month of awareness. The answer is quite easy. Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, is the most common disease in America. More common than cancer, diabetes, arthritis or heart disease with 85% of US adults suffering from some degree of gum disease. And 40% of those people may not even know they have it.
We want to help keep your mouth healthy with our Gum Disease Awareness Checklist.
2. Know risks of Gum Disease.
- Gum Disease is the leading cause of tooth loss. Research has shown that loss of teeth is tied to decreased life span.
- Gum Disease affects more than your mouth. Gum disease has systemic connections to serious illnesses like the ones listed below:
3. Know your numbers.
- Knowing your gum pocket depths is important. Ask your dentist if he/she has recently measured your gum pocket depths. If you have healthy gums, the distance between the gum and tooth should be 1-3mm. Anything beyond 3mm is indicative of gum disease.
4. Know your treatment options.
- Gum disease can be treated. The Havrilla Center for Periodontics & Dental Implants offers treatment for the early and advanced states of gum disease. It’s also important to continue care and get check-ups regularly.
Call us (610) 328-9608 or click to schedule your appointment.